Thursday, January 31, 2008

File your taxes with Turbotax online for free ***




Here's one for those of you who want to file taxes online, but don't want to pay a dime for software, or filing fees.

Asterisk, Asterisk, Asterisk..

Of course there was a catch.

You have to either earn under $30k per year, or qualify for the Earned Income Credit, or be Active Duty Military for the year 2007, and earning under $54k per year.

Believe it or not, a lot of folks fall into these categories, including myself.

The website is called Tax Freedom, it has been run by Intuit, the makers of Turbotax.

Here is the website (www.taxfreedom.com)


You can also file your State return for free, if you live in the following states of the "Free Tax Alliance" as they call it.

AL, AR, AZ, GA, ID, IA, KY, MA, MI, MN, MO, MS, NY, ND, NC, OK,
OR, RI, SC, VT, WV

I'm shocked to see that my home state of New York is on there. We finally get a freebie.

Anyways, the software is very good. I was able to run through my girlfriends somewhat basic tax return, and get it filed in about an hour of time. The software prompts you what to file by asking basic questions.

I recommend that you have your bank account routing and account numbers handy. You can direct deposit your return, and have the funds in as soon as 8 business days.

If you don't qualify for the Tax Freedom Software..

There is no need to despair. Even the IRS is getting into the free file act. Here is a link to the IRS's free file page. Please note I have not used the IRS software, maybe someone could let me know how well it works.

So the bottom line is, don't go to the big box store and spend $40-$60 dollars on a boxed tax program, when it is all available online for free.

If this article or my blog has helped you save a couple bucks, do me a favor and click some of the ads to the right, and check them out.

Thanks,
Justin






No comments: